Known for their beautiful, bright pink coluor and tart crunch. The Dhabas (roadside restaurants) in India are often remembered for the hot Tandoori rotis they serve alongside pink and pungent pickled onions. A quick and easy recipe.
These recipes are now to serve a family of 4.
1 cup sliced red onions or whole pearl onions; peeled
½ cup white vinegar
½ cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1. In a pan warm the water, add the salt and sugar and mix until dissolved. Remove from heat.
2. Add the vinegar and mix well.
3. In a glass jar add the onions and chili
4. Top with the warm vinegar water.
5. Cover the jar and keep it in the refrigerator.
6. Use the onions after 24 hours.
They will last about 2-4 weeks in the fridge
Need now, for tonight?
1. Thinly slice red onions. Cover in salt, leave for at least 20 minutes
2. Wash the salt off the onions
3. Add Lemon Juice (and optional mint sauce)